Day 25: Practice deep breathing exercises.
The first time I tried deep breathing I noticed an instant change. I felt more relaxed and calm. Deep breathing is done by taking bigger breaths that you’ll feel in your stomach as well.
It’s common for most people to take shallow and quick breaths into their chest. By breathing as such, it can increase anxiety.
- Get comfortable. You can lie on your back or you can sit in a chair with your shoulders, head, and neck supported against the back of the chair. I sat on a couch with my head rested back, my back straight, one hand on my chest, and one hand on my stomach.
- Breathe in through your nose. Let your belly fill with air. You will know when your belly is filling with air because you will fill it rise.
- Breathe out through your nose.
- As you breathe in, feel your belly rise. As you breathe out, feel your belly lower.
- Take three more full, deep breaths. Breathe fully into your belly as it rises and falls with your breath.
How do you know if you’re doing the excercise correctly?
Well, the hand on your stomach should rise and fall more than the one on your chest. Also you should feel more relaxed and calmer when you’re finished.
This exercise should make your feel more aware of your body and your breathing. This exercise can be done multiple times a day, whenever you need it!